Pages

Saturday 5 May 2012

Recipe: Easy Buttercream + Caramel Cake!


Are you drooling ? I am. And as I'm typing this I've already eaten about 1/2 this cake, probably given myself temporary diabetes, and I still want more. You should know, I totally made this cake for no reason. I was bored. Probably not the healthiest outlet for boredom but it sure tasted good. I started with a regular fudge cake mix back in two separate 8-inch pans, and made everything else from scratch. Who has time to bake an entire cake these days? Oh, right. Me.

Buttercream Frosting (originally found HERE :
1. Beat 1 cup of softened butter until slightly fluffy, then incorporate 3 cups icing sugar.
2. Add a pinch of salt, tsp of vanilla, 1/4 milk, and 3/4 cocoa, and an ounce (maybe more...) of melted chocolate
3. Beat until fluffy! A few minutes or so. Slather on your cake once it has cooled, and then refrigerate. Buttercream melts easily and gets sloppy. No one wants that.


Easy-Peasy Caramel/Butterscotch Sauce:
For the caramel, I used a recipe found HERE, though I halved it since I only needed it for a filling. It was delicious and really simple. Reminded me of the Skor bars me and my mom make at Christmas :) Feel free to go a lot heavier on this stuff than I did. I love caramel. You can use the leftovers to mix with hot coffee in the morning for a sweeter treat :) The sauce is basically 1 cup brown sugar, 8 tablespoons butter, and 1/2 cup of half-and-half heated on medium-low in a pot. It will start to get thick in 5-7 mins, then you can add 1 tsp vanilla and stir for a minute more. Cool a bit and use it as you wish!


No comments:

Post a Comment